Our Focus on Employee Health and Safety
Safety is an intrinsic part of our DNA. The health and safety of every employee and visitor to any of our facilities is our top priority. We are committed to providing a safe work environment and promoting employee health and well-being through continuous improvement activities, education and communication. Olympic Steel’s facilities and operations are subject to various federal, state and local laws and regulations relating to safety and the protection of human health. We maintain multiple policies designed to comply with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration standards. Our safety motto says it all:
Safety first. Always. And, it starts with me.
Our Safety Committees at each division help us increase engagement with all our employees while emphasizing our proactive commitment to safety. Near misses, hazardous condition reporting, job safety reviews and safety audits are some of the ways in which we prevent significant safety incidents.
While we diligently manage safety policies, programs and training on an ongoing basis, we believe our overall Safety Culture has the biggest impact. We keep Safety top of mind in so many ways through the leadership of our management teams and safety professionals; extensive training, safety protocols, personal protective equipment (PPE) provided to our employees and visitors; and the focus we put on safety in all our company communications and information.
Our Occupational Health and Safety performance includes tracking injuries, occupational diseases, and work-related fatalities. Our corporate targets include year-over-year reductions in Recordable Injuries, as well as, increased year-over-year reporting of Near Misses. Listed below are our corporate FY2020 rates:
- Fatality Rate: 0.0
- Total Recordable Incident Rate: 3.9
Below are some improvement efforts we have implemented to reduce occurrences of occupational injuries and illnesses.
- Each year, our employees receive emergency preparedness training, and we conduct both severe weather and fires drills annually.
- Our employees attend refresher safety training annually. This training includes: Electrical Safety, Lock Out Tag Out, Crane Safety, Lifting and Rigging Equipment, Confined Spaces, First Aid and Bloodborne Pathogens, Fire Prevention and Emergency Action Plan, Hearing Conservation, Hand Safety, Personal Protective Equipment requirements, Working Around Mobile Equipment, and Walking and Working Surfaces.
- All manufacturing sites have a volunteer team of First Responders. Our First Responders are trained in first aid, CPR, AED and spill response.
- All manufacturing sites apply lean manufacturing methodologies in their approach to Safety
- During the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we implemented company-wide Pandemic Preparedness & Response Protocols, which encapsulated recommended CDC guidelines to ensure we could continue safe operations as a designated essential business.
- We conduct routine departmental safety audits and inspections
Not only is safety a top priority for employees, but we also extend our health and safety policies to suppliers, visitors, and contractors. When suppliers, visitors, and contractors come on site, they receive safety and hazardous materials training. The training includes a review of relevant policies, required personal protection equipment, emergency procedures, and specific hazards that may be encountered while performing work at our locations.
And, our relentless focus on safety is getting recognized! Click here for a list of Safety recognition Olympic Steel has earned.