Olympic Steel is committed to Corporate Citizenship
Corporate Citizenship. It’s one of our Core Values. And, we’re committed.
Any company can write a check to support a charity. It’s important, and as an enterprise, Olympic Steel supports numerous philanthropic endeavors with Corporate donations. But, what we value most at Olympic Steel is the generosity and commitment to community demonstrated by our employees. As a Company, we support and encourage that commitment and offer ways for employees to actively participate by sharing their time and talent in support of some extremely worthy causes.
Each year, our employees contribute cash donations, volunteer hours, units of blood, food and clothing, non-profit boards service and numerous other types of support to local and national organizations, including the American Heart Association®, American Red Cross, American Cancer Society®, Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation®, Harvest for Hunger®, Habitat for Humanity®, March of Dimes®, Ronald McDonald House Charities®, Junior Achievement USA®, Humane Society, Salvation Army®, and The Arthritis Foundation®.
Working For Wishes
In addition to the local efforts organized by individual Olympic Steel divisions and their teams, employees company-wide come together once a year in partnership with the Make-A-Wish Foundation® for an initiative we call “Working for Wishes.”
Our company-wide partnership with the Make-A-Wish Foundation® began in 2004 as part of Olympic Steel’s 50th Anniversary celebration. Employees selected the organization with the hope of granting a single wish – at the time, a $5,000 commitment. That first year, the company’s four-week fund-raising efforts far exceeded expectations, granting three wishes with a campaign total of $17,500.
And, it’s only grown from there!
To date, Olympic Steel employees have raised in excess of $1.4 million and granted more than 142 wishes in support of the Make-A-Wish Foundation® mission to create life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses.
We’ve met the families. We’ve seen the impact. And, we believe in the power of a wish.
Following are just a few milestones in our wish-granting journey over the years:
- 2018 – Honored with the JOY Award for reaching $1 million in donations to the Greater Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky chapter
- 2016 – Exceeded $1 million in total donations to Make-A-Wish Foundation® chapters across the country since beginning our Working for Wishes commitment in 2004
- Granted our 100th wish since beginning our Working for Wishes commitment in 2004
- Honored with the Chris Greicius Award at the annual Big Wish Gala hosted by the Greater Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky chapter
- 2014 – Set a fund-raising record with $106,268 raised in a single year
- 2013 – Celebrated a decade of giving
- Set a wish-granting record with 12 wishes granted in a single year
- Chosen as the “Distinguished Honoree” at the Greater Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky chapter’s annual “Big Wish Gala” event
- 2007 – Granted the 6,000th wish for the Greater Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation®
- 2004 – Working for Wishes was born