- Name: Chase Varner
- Hometown: Fulton County, PA
- College or University: Lock Haven University
- Major: Health & Physical Education
- Year: 4th
- Position at Olympic Steel: Sales Intern
Special Project Description:
The goal of my Sales Internship was to establish meaningful relationships with three Olympic Steel customers, both current and new. To build these mutually beneficial relationships, I first needed to learn about the business, our services and the industry. Once I felt confident in my understanding of Olympic Steel and what we can provide, I began building key customer relationships via email, phone and at events like golf outings and lunches. I also spent time at the Media, PA sales office where I learned the Microsoft AX system so I could assist with quoting by learning how to check inventory and enter purchase orders. These activities strengthened my understanding of the business, reinforced effective selling techniques and helped me understand how important it is to develop strong customer relationships.
Why did you choose to intern for Olympic Steel?
- I chose to take a sales internship here at Olympic Steel after witnessing family members grow incredible careers with the Company. I also want to gain a fresh perspective into the business industry.
What do you hope to accomplish during your time here at Olympic Steel?
- I hope to gain meaningful experience and learn every aspect and career path that this company/industry has to offer. I want to continue my professional development as well as expand my skills in sales.
What do you like to do in your free time?
- I enjoy golfing, exercising, gaming, and spending time with friends and family.
What is your proudest moment so far?
- Receiving a state medal at the PIAA State Track & Field Championships or maintaining a place on the Dean’s List effort through my entire collegiate career.
What is your favorite quote?
- “We’re all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that’s all.” – Andrew Clark (movie “The Breakfast Club”)
Three words to describe me are:
- Committed, Personable, Curious